3.01.2005

Wading through chest high mud

The last few days have been a little difficult. Nothing has happened out of the ordinary, (but my son going off to war) yet my attitude has been somewhat somber. My daily time with the Son has been difficult. Like walking through chest high mud. Slow and tedious.

but through the difficulty, we must carry on. To develop the discipline to maintain and continue on is very difficult. In the past, during these "dark nights of the soul" as Tozer calls them, It was easier for me to just sit and wait. not read, not pray, not do anything. just wait.

no longer.

I have forced myself to read the Psalms. 5 per day. And this morning, it was if a ray of warm sunshine had broke through a weeks worth of rain and clouds. The warmth of the Word of God relaxed the tenseness of my lack of desire as they soaked into my heart like a misty rain on a summers day. It was like receiving a massage to tired and achey muscles. The words of David flowed through my soul and nourished the dry and parched banks of my soul. it was Refreshing and satisfying.

the heaviness of life can be overwhelming. Mundane tasks can often rob us of joy and vigor. Events come in to our lives that keep us from true fellowship with the Father. Fear can divide us from much needed time in the sacred scriptures. This has been my portion these past days.

Thanks be to God for His life giving, life sustaining, life changing Word. Thanks be to the Holy Spirit for His teaching and encouraging ways. Thanks be to the Son for His work before, during and after the Cross.

may we remain people of the Book. May our desire always be to return to the Book for encouragement, love, food, and satisfaction.

life is a highway...I want to ride it all night long...

No comments: