3.28.2005

"My give a damn's busted"

Heard this song on the radio as I was looking for something to listen to. although I am not a big counrty music fan, this song caught my attention. not becasue of the message, but the attitude. "My give a damn's busted."

I went to our weekly meeting with the homeless guys we minister to. only one showed up. we ate home made chicken and dumplings. I left my Bible at home, along with a couple of other things I wanted to bring, so we ended up hanging out on the front steps talking. we talked about cars...he smoked.

I was especially aware of how people looked at us as they drove by, or when they stopped when the light turned red. actually, no eye contact was made when they stopped, mostly they looked when they drove by. interesting looks.

lessons learned over the last few weeks have been so needed in my white bread life. I asked Jeff how people treated him, if they talked to him or ignored him, if he had any friends. "most people are nice enough but few ever speak, they just smile and walk on by." all his friends are at the Christian Coffee shop he volunteers at each week end. he take out trash, makes coffee, helps clean up. I love that...a homeless guy volunteers! any one feel that pain? it felt like a little reminder that we ALL can do something.

He is convinced he is a believer. after 3 months of seeing him at our church and spending the last couple of weeks with him, I realized I had not asked him about his relationship with Christ. "I don't always act like it, but I am saved." sounds like a lot of people I know...especially me.

we hung out for about an hour. we will meet again next week.

Dignity and friendship. these are the things I believe Jesus would have me offer this man. seems to me, if we offered everyone these things, maybe the world would be a little different.

next time you see a homeless person, remember this. They look like Jesus. just like we do. they have needs, just like we do. they need love...just like we do. they need friendship...just like we do. some need clothes, shoes, and maybe cigs. some need a meal. they all...excuse me, we all need Jesus and we all need love.

don't turn away next time you see one of "the lessor ones," as some call them, at a stop light, or passing by on the street. smile, speak, say hello. allow the Spirit to be the grace that person may need.

I am thankful that Jesus "give a damn" AINT busted. and after a long time in the shop, mine seems to be working again.

How is your give a damn?

8 comments:

so i go said...

incredible post.. i'll be back. often.

blessings & peace..

Anonymous said...

Do you think you would be more effective in life and in ministry if you used words like a saint instead of words like a sinner? I have a hard time believing that you would ever hear that title come out of our Lord Jesus Christ's mouth.

so i go said...

anonymous.. sainthood has a way of clouding our vision. do you really think that Jesus.. this radical, rebellous lover of sinners didn't speak in raw understandable language for those He came to love?

Jeff, for what its worth.. you're living out a beautiful picture of redemption in your daily walk. Don't let comments like these get you down.

Walk on, brother.

Anonymous said...

Jesus could not have spoken in the same manner, because if He did, then he would not have lived a clean & perfect life, and His sacrifice on the cross would have been nullified. Scripture clearly speaks against this type of speech. We are to be set apart from the world. Not set apart to where we cannot witness and draw others to Christ, but set apart nonetheless.

so i go said...

what "type of speech" does Scripture speak against? i'm curious..

Panmillennial said...

Hey Jeff,

I was just reading the words of Jesus tonight when He said in Mark 16:16 "He that believeth not shall be damned". Also, I like it when Jesus called the Pharisees a brood of vipers and other choice words. I especially like it when Jesus talks about not judging others and worrying about their own problems and trying to please God with their lives and not being concerned with others, something about a log and a speck. Rock on Bro!

P.S. It is also amazing to me how those under the guise of anonymity are so bold.

Anonymous said...

1. I really believe that Jesus would never say such things as the title of this post. Nowhere in the Scriptures do we see something like this.

2. Colosians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

3. Mark 16:16 is very specific regarding the use of the word. It wasn't a glib profanity. That's not what the Son of God would say. Speech matters. Our attitude matters. Our lives matter. We can't throw any of these aside, not even to make us somehow more attractive to non-believers. It's like the people who believe that drinking a beer with a non-believer somehow makes Christianity cool. maybe we should be pure in all aspects of life, and let that be our testimony.

so i go said...

anonymous, i appreciate your thoughts and do respect your opinion. unfortunately i'm hitting the road for spring break and won't have time to engage in an ongoing, healthy debate.

my concern stems from the perception that this very purity we strive for often takes the form of judgmental behavior. the fact that you would see the word "damn" and find that offensive enough to enter an anonymous post suggests to me that you would have a difficult and very uncomfortable time dealing with the very people that Christ called us to love.

as a sidenote, i don't think Jeff indicated that Jesus would say "damn".. he just used a modern colloquialism to suggest that He cared deeply and took the time to touch the untouchable. just like Jeff is doing in his life, a point that seems lost on you.