3.23.2005

Getting hammered

Getting hammered just took on a new meaning for me.

Last night, I spent about 2 hours with a man who has given 24 years of his life to serving Jesus. We shared our journey of life together. Honesty, authenticity are just words to some people. Not with this guy. He shared his soul, asked me to peek inside, look at all the scars, hurts, joys, failures, and triumphs. All this was laced with the intoxicating aroma of Jesus Christ.

Today, I spent a few hours with a dear friend. We talked about our journey of life. We spoke of what had been and what could be. As we talked about what could be, I was once again intoxicated with Him.

I was hammered.

little back ground.

for 16 years, I lived in a world that most believers that I know have heard of, but few have ventured into. The darkness of addiction is heavy. Evil is not a word there. It is a reality that one lives with daily. Evil has an odor, a foul odor, yet is is as intoxicating as anything I have ever ingested into my body.

actions and words that came from me during those years have been washed clean, yet the memory of that remains. Not from guilt, but memory. Scars, thought processes. These remain.

to be "delivered from the domain of darkness and transfered to the kingdom of His beloved Son" was and is an amazing thing. Still brings a smile and a tear to my face. Such love and such grace...Such freedom, such a God.

the stench of religion became vile and deststable to me. Yet for most people I know, that aroma is like incense.

when I am in the presence of genuine people who seek to drench me out of the overflow of Jesus in their heart, the result is getting hammered. Week kneed and with out concern for my surroundings. I want more...more of that spring that wells up in those who spend time with Him. More of those words of acceptance and understanding and concern.

I walked away from these 2 meetings completely intoxicated. I could barely drive. At one point today, I had to pull over and just enjoy the dampness of what had spilled from the glass from which we had drunk.

who we are and who we think we are often 2 different things. And still, there is what others think we are. Talk about your multiple personalities.

raw and blunt. Those seem to be my deal. Still could be nicer. Still could be more understanding. Still could be a bit more patient. It is difficult not to be gun shy when so many rocks have been thrown. But I am trying.

but you ever notice that Jesus did not run after the rich young ruler? Sometimes he leaves us to our own destruction. Sometimes he pursues us.

Like in my case. When He met me on that road when I was coming back home...He sure smelled good that day.

what a familier smell...

No comments: