3.02.2005

Pagan viewpoint

Every morning at 7:15, my friend the pagan who works next door comes by. Each day we re-hash the important news and activities that go on in our lives. Martin is a good hearted guy. He is lost, and hard about his lostness, so developing a relationship for the express purpose of sharing the Gospel has been difficult. There have been moments of light, but we remain friends.

what I like about our morning discussions is his viewpoint on the world. He sheds a tear when an animal is hurt, yet speaks in disgust when the don't care attitudes of most people are sent his way.

last week it was Disney. His disdain for people who wear Christian t shirts and show they are no different than others is scary.

this week he has been sick. So the opportunity to pray for him and let him know has opened a door of trust. He is sharing more about family problems and situations. I believe the HS is preparing his heart. It is cool to see.

I think about my situation, my church in light of the situations my friend deals with. We are in the process of a new plant. 6 months into it. Same people still there, same problems followed us. And we wonder what our purpose is.

life seems simpler to Martin. We make our lives way to complicated. We make our faith way to complicated.

I love my pagan buddy. I love his honesty, his realness and his outlook on life. We loose that as Christians. We loose the desire to be real and live with zeal. We loose the sincerity of telling others about what God is doing in our hearts. So we have to have classes only a few folks come to so we can have a formula to share.

Marin sees life as it is. He takes things as they come.

we see life as we think it is. We are seldom honest with ourselves and our motives for doing what we do. We justify our actions rather than magnify Jesus. And my biggest problem, we throw rocks at what we do not like because it makes us uncomfortable or we simply do not like it.

I am ashamed that my pagan friend has a more honest look on life than I do.

3 comments:

Panmillennial said...

It's a trap that I believe Satan sets for all Christians. It's easy to fall into. It is strange though. We should be the ones with the honest outlook; we've been forgiven of so much. It's all about looking in the mirror, not across the lawn. I'm praying for you bro!

lee said...

no doubt man...i've got a gal who i work with who loves her cats so much it makes me sick...but, she's taught me an enormous amount about having compassion for our fellow man & His creation in general...

who'd a thunk it...

she doesn't even go to church...

maybe there's something to that...

sad...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having an open mind as well as an open heart. Ultimately it's love and the expression of love that truly connects each of us with God.

When I first read the title of your post I could feel myself tense up. I felt an attack coming but I was so touched and relieved when I read it.

Thanks again.