3.21.2005

A bit of reality to choke down

We began our weekly Bible study yesterday for a few homeless guys. Only 2 showed up. We fed them some pizza, and realized rather quickly that we needed to spend some time getting to know them. So rather than a Bible study, we spent over an hour just hanging out and getting to know these guys.

sometimes I forget how good my life is. I was reminded of how blessed I am yesterday.

most of us look for a reason why folks are homeless and try to fix it. After all, Jesus does not want people to live like that. They just need to have more of a quiet time, seek Jesus with their heart, do good and everything will turn out good.

both these guys are some what mentally unstable. Probably no more than me, but it is evident when you spend some time with them. So the quiet time theory was shot down.

neither of them drink nor do they do drugs. Both have been coming to our Church service for a few months. Both have similar stories. Things just escalated to a point they lost control. One sleeps in his car, the other sleeps in bushes.

I asked them why they don't stay at the shelter.
"cause you have to stay up all night just to watch your stuff. When ever you doze off, druggies and drunks steal your stuff." "it is easier for me just to sleep in the bushes somewhere, at least I can get some rest."

I asked them about the day labor deal they both work at.
"I get sent out on jobs about once a week. Mainly cause the drunks who wet themselves and the druggies cause a scene and the jobs go to them so they can get them out and stop bothering people."

the cops roust them up from time to time, keeping them out of the downtown square. "they do that so all the big time horse ranchers and big time money folks don't have to see us. Like they are gonna have to look at us or something."

My buddy who was there with me asked me, "how do we relate to these guys?"

I have been thinking of that over night.

I am not sure I can relate. I have never been homeless. Although I was a junkie for a number of years, I was on the street by choice. All I could come up with is this. We are to love them, accept them, treat them with respect, show them some charity, and ask Jesus to guide them. We cannot fix their problems. Or can we?

I asked them "In an perfect world, what would you want for yourself?"

one said..."A room with a bed, a place to shower a few times a week, money for cigs, and a place to do laundry."

the other said..."A place to do ministry, like a rescue mission...And a puppy."

I guess when all else has left, the simplest of things become more important.

I woke up this morning and thought. My bed seemed a little softer last night. My wife was more beautiful. My rented home was a castle. My job suddenly became more interesting. Breakfast tasted better. Salvation was sweeter. Doing laundry was not as big a deal.

all these things were not sweeter cause I have this and those guys don't. It was not better cause I was better off. It was not cause I was blessed and they weren't.

they were sweeter because I realize I actually appreciate what I have. For the first time in my life, I am not looking for a bigger house, bigger and nicer car, for more electronics, more clothes, more stuff, more money, more of anything...But Jesus.

life can be a bitch. Stuff happens that we have no control over. Stuff happens that makes us angry and bitter. Stuff happens that build us up and tear us down.

perspective is key. The way we live and the things we have and the things we want can all be put into perspective when we look outside our comfort and talk to some one who has nothing, and doesn't really want much.

mine changed. Over pizza and a couple of smelly guys just talking...About life. Real life.

12 comments:

Panmillennial said...

Wow, thanks bro. Makes me feel like the rich man and Lazarus. I find myself complaining all the time. Thanks for the reality check. I'm praying for you and your fam. If you hear from TJ, let him know I love him and I'm praying.

Pan

Anonymous said...

I don't know you... you don't know me. While I do see your point in much of what you say... the feeling I walk away from is that you are trying to "alienate" yourself-- almost offend the other Christians around you.

No, we don't have to be perfect people. Yes, we all make mistakes. Yes, you do have some great ideas on how to reach those who haven't found their way home yet... but you don't have to push yourself away from brothers and sisters in Christ-- even if you don't agree with how "they" do church.

Example...some of your language. Our goal-- according to the Bible-- is to set ourselves APART from the ways of the world. I do believe that the best way to reach people is to build relationships. I do believe we need to be where they are... but what is it that sets you apart? What do you have that they don't? How will they see the difference?

Just some thoughts to ponder...

Anonymous said...

"Reality is like fine wine....it does not appeal to children" Donald Miller

Remnant Sons MC said...

actually, if you read the text again, it was not Donald Miller who said it...he failed to give a name for the quote. but I am sure you knew that. and I am also sure you noticed the quotation marks on the quote on the page...

lee said...

great post bro...

i dunno what u did to piss off donald miller or the random stranger, but it seems that you've now got your own fan club...

i'm jealous...

keep at it man...

Anonymous said...

You have been given a gift to write. Please find a resource on giving literary credit for something that is not an original thought. Quotes are not enough. Miller published it, so he deserves credit.

Remnant Sons MC said...

Donald miller is responsible for the quote "reality is like a fine wine, it does not appeal to children," and not me.

there you go.

I hope you can get past my seemingly plagaristic ways, and dialogue about the content and not the quotes.

or, better yet, reveal your mysterious identity and let us dialogue about Jesus, lost folks, being freaks for truth and such.

Anonymous said...

Colosians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him."

Remnant Sons MC said...

Nice...
not only are we to the point that we hide and crtitique, but now we hide and throw out Scripture bombs to justify our Christlikeness.

be careful you do not knock over your computer screen with the plank in your eye...my brother, or sister, which ever the case may be.

again...if you want, step down off your throne and let us dialogue of such grand things as meeting needs, reaching the lost, and freedom in Christ.

of these things let us fill our minds.

or, we can continue this...it is kind of fun.

Anonymous said...

hey Jeff, i see where your coming from on this man. I hung out and tried to minister to some homeless back in g-ville (there's plenty there). It is an eye opening experience for anyone. You can't minister to them the same way we minister to the upper-middle class.

- random stranger -
Jeff definetly "marches to the beat of a different drummer" (Henry David Thoreau). He may not always be right, but he is I believe refeshingly honest to his convictions. He has many times said or done things that made me scratch my head, but those things were done in an attempt to faithfully follow our Lord.

Anonymous said...

Alright...allow me to clarify. I'm not posting as "anonymous", the fact is that I really am a stranger. I stumbled upon your blog and have been following it for quite some time. You really don't know me...I really don't know you.

I have read many issues that you have pointed out in "the church" that you feel are wrong... some I agree with, some I don't. Either way, you see something there that you have concerns about. I can freely admit without any hesitation that I screw up on a daily basis-- so this isn't a log issue... although it's nice to use that when we want to get rid of the problem. I see some issues in what you're writing that concern me. You can take those concerns and toss them aside... you can become defensive and attack me...or you can consider them for what they're worth and see if there's anything you can gain from an outside perception of what is coming through in your words.

There's no reason for you to get angry or defensive in what I'm saying... just consider how you might be coming across in your words. Is the perception that I'm getting from you-- simply from words on a computer screen-- the perception that you really want to give?

Again...just thoughts to consider.

Zero said...

Nice blog. Just clicked the random blog thingy and yours popped up.

This post really hits hard for me. Too many times I am not as grateful for what the Lord has given me. Too many times I wonder what I can be doing to help guys like that. But you're right, prespective is key, and sometimes we can only ask Christ to guide them. Keep on postin'!