11.20.2005

If the house is a rockin...

Dancing has never been my thing. When I was doing lots of chemicals, I always thought I could dance, but I never really could. Slow dancing was cool. I remember holding my wife close, smelling her hair, looking into her eyes trying to sing what ever drunken song that was playing. But as most, I really thought I had a little move or two on the floor. I could keep a beat for a few moments, but in the end, I was like most drunken rednecks and just flailed my hips around like I was some caveman looking for a mate.

Never liked watching dancing either. Dancing with the stars? You gotta be kidding me!!!

Someone mentioned today "waltzing with God's Spirit" on a comment. For a brief moment, I let my mind wander...What follows is the end of that process.

Lately, scripture has been as sweet as Tupelo Honey to my lips. Passion that I thought had been lost during the dispersion seemed to only need be uncovered. desire that rises up in me as I read each day is an ancient longing that can only come from One who died but now is alive.

we are to easy to forget and leave behind that Ancient of days that calls from eternity past in order to embrace a so called newness.

we try and keep in step with the Spirit, or "waltz" if you will, to the soothing melodies of a wild lover calling from beyond our comfort into a world we do not know, with wonder beyond our understanding and the unknown longing as deep calls to deep.

yet the tunes we seek to move to are often not the same tune that supports our form of movement.

I love the blues. Texas Blues. Even more specific, Stevie Ray blues. But I am also drawn to the old black man sitting on a chair tapping his foot and bellowing out hurts from a love gone wrong and a women gone bad. Delta blues.

sometimes, the movement He calls me to involves a different beat, a slow down, or even a speed up. But because I seem to be stuck in my own deal, I miss great opportunities that would allow others to hear and move to His calling and His leading.

I closed my eyes as we worshiped with others and wanted to actually dance around. You remember what it was like as a kid when we could close our eyes, lift our hands and move about like the wind was carrying us? That is how I felt today. Of course, I did not do this. Out of fear of being seen as an idiot, but mostly out of unwillingness to really let myself go and experience worship rather than just do worship.

I love my God. I am deeply in love with Jesus. He asked me to dance today. I pretended like I did not hear him. I stood alongside the back wall with all the other geeks waiting for some action, and when He showed up, I freaked out.

not sure how it will turn out next time. But he did tell me he would be back. Hopefully, my response will be different.

not sure I am into living my life for what could have been.

anybody wanna dance?

"if the house is a rocking, don't bother knockin...come on in" SRV

1 comment:

lee said...

as i read this came to mind...

At times life is wicked and I just can't see the light
A silver lining sometimes isn't enough
To make some wrongs seem right
Whatever life brings
I've been through everything
And know I'm on my knees again

But I know I must go on
Although I hurt I must be strong
Because inside I know that many feel this way

Children don't stop dancing
Believe you can fly
Away...away

At times life's unfair and you know it's plain to see
Hey God I know I'm just a dot in this world
Have you forgot about me?
Whatever life brings
I've been through everything
And know I'm on my knees again

But I know I must go on
Although I hurt I must be strong
Because inside I know that many feel this way

Am I hiding in the shadows?
Forget the pain and forget the sorrows

But I know I must go on
Although I hurt I must be strong
Because inside I know that many feel this way

Children don't stop dancing
Believe you can fly
Away...away

Am I hiding in the shadows?
Are we hiding in the shadows?

how can we ever stop dancing...if we never start?

let 'er rip yella'...!