2.07.2005

Smoking crack and 20 dollars

It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

Part of what is so cool about decompressing from religiousness, is the ability to be flexible. We have several homeless folks come to our service each week. They heard there was food, so they come. It has been cool to get to know them. John is a believer who has been somewhat faithful as of late. A well traveled man. A man in need.

last week after the service, as is my habit, I asked each of the guys who come if they had any needs. Jeff needed smokes. So we gave him money to buy some cigarettes. If you have ever smoked, sometimes it is all you have. The tall John needed cash, cause he was sleeping in his car. The other john needed clothes. So this week, we gave him some boots, and one of the guys had some jeans and shirts that fit.

when I asked John if he needed any cash, he said "yes I do. But I cannot take it because I would go buy crack." "I have a problem with money" he said. "to much in my pocket and I can't trust myself. I smoke it up." I asked how much is to much...He said "anything for now."

I thought about that all week. And I wondered at the discipline he had. Turns out he did not make it through the week with out getting high, but he went longer this week than he did last. I still marvel at the discipline to turn down money.

he came back this week, had his bible and took notes. And still, he refused my offer for money. "God is providing" he said, "look, I got new boots, and clothes I did not have last week, plus, Jesus is helping me with the crack problem."

most of those who read this, and all of the folks I know, are not homeless. Yet, for all I have, and all we have , we still find room for complaint and misery. For what? Food? No. Shelter? No. Clothing? No. What then...Selfishness.

I remember the honesty of all the druggies I knew while doing the whole 12 step deal. Honesty and acceptance. Most times, we in the church fail in at least one of these, if not both.

Thank you Jesus for teaching me about simplicity, faith, perseverance, and love from a man who can't even have a 20 bill in his pocket with out using it to buy crack.

2 comments:

lee said...

awesome post bro...

thanks for the call sat...

i celebrate the existence of those like you in my life...

keep shinin' the light man...

maybe us good church folks will get our head out of our ass long enough to see it...

Panmillennial said...

Thanks for bringing it home, Jeff. I have been rocked this morning by your post. I know that you probably meant it for a different purpose, but hey i'm weird. I have been addicted to several things in my life. I have not been hooked on crack, but addicted none the less. The thing God hammered me with is that it was harder to get over those "needs" than it is to get over Him sometimes. It's easy for me sometimes to get caught up in everyday life and let Him slip my mind. But when I was addicted, the thoughts never left my mind. It's a sad commentary.

God Bless you. Please keep up the "Good Work", it's a blessing to more than you know.

Pan