4.06.2006

Little Less Conversation, Little More Action

Recently, after 2 years away, The Boss has allowed me back at work. lessons learned, difficulties dealt with, all is past.

It would be really easy to do what every one else is doing. the same old song and dance. perpetuate the problem rather than be part of the solution.

being gone from something that was once so dear, gives one opportunity to think. think over directions followed, or missed turns. mostly, thoughts run towards what would change IF, and for a while it was a big IF, the opportunity should arise.

funny though, all that had seemed lost. and the road that is most traveled has ruts that will allow one to just ride along with out much effort.

Something snapped this week. but the words "narrow way" and "road less traveled" were bouncing around in my mind like a super ball on steroids. it became evident that the time is now to follow Him and throw expectations of the same old deal out the window. it felt like I was leaving the paved road and was heading toward the woods. no visible trails, at first, and then just a few feet in front was a direction that could be sensed and taken...not being guided with my eyes open, but closed. bumpy and wild but so exilerating.

Student ministry in most places is an all out attempt to contribute to the consumer reality that has gripped our country. I can say that cause I was its biggest fan. but something did not add up at the end of the day. it seems as though I spent more time trying to justify my job and salary to those who I worked for and those who would dictate what i could spend in a year. not to mention the whizzing contests I would get into with other ym's over numbers and budget. at the end of the day, only a small percentage of those I spent time with went on down the path. most got off the path and returned to the paved road.

so what is different? nothing to prove. nothing to justify. I am getting to old to play games, and way to tired of the endless circles of gatherings and conferences that seem to yeild nothing more than opportunities to go against the traditions (which is not all bad) and grown men trying to look like they are 17.

so here we go. no books to read that offers 5 purposes that will grow your youth ministry, no steps to sucess, no formulas to follow. just a sincere desire to follow Him who gave Himself for me, and teach the little mongrels to live a life that is filled with "other than".

can it be possible to permiate an age group that really does not believe in the vehicle (church) in which the Message is delivered? funny. I remember 11 guys and an ex-pharasee who did that very thing.

we are right back where we started. how bout we try this... A Little Less Conversation, A Little More Action!

any body up for The New World Order?

6 comments:

lee said...

let 'er rip bro...

let 'er rip...

sheri-baby said...

I am right there with you! I love you!

Anonymous said...

everything in life seems right when jeff is turning off the paved road...

Sojourner said...

Jeff, your words always assure me that i am not crazy... In a world permeated by plans and steps and ways to find "your best what-the-crap-ever-sells-books now," it is encouraging to realize that i am not the only one without a "plan"... Of course i have vision and desire, but i have come to realize, even in my young age, that my plans must always be outlines at best that i may be ready to go when, where, and do whatever God tells me... And He does... And i have... And i pray that i always will...

Anonymous said...

My two cents: Simply show them what God's love looks like and then teach them how to love others. Let your students' love be the only justificatino that your church needs. When your church sees them love, sees them serve, and sees them change, you will have the support that you felt you never had before.

Is it possible? Absolutely. In fact, it's necessary.

Remnant Sons MC said...

Thanks for the comments guys. good to hear from you Matt. really good. you brought a smile to my face.

Adam. I have thought long about your "two cents".
at the end of the day, there is simply not enought time to teach students to love. somewhere, it falls on the parents to teach their kids. my responsibility is to come along side them and in the 2-4 hours a week I spend with them (that would be if they came to eveything we offer)teach them foundational principles and expand their knowledge and ask that the Holy Spirit would break their hearts and change them.

yes, show them in my life, what unconditional love is, but loving others cannot be taught when there is nothing to back it up.

when they leave home and go to college, it is the foundational elements that their parents taught them they should remember. some remember what they were taught at church, or in youth group, but the numbers are slim.

The church needs to be an example for love, not look to students who have little understanding of true love...if you have teens like I have had, or remember what it was like to be a walking glandular hormone, then you will understand what I mean.

however, the journey with them is what I am here for...at least for the next few years. and it is with great joy and honor and humility that I do what He has called me to do. and yes, with great love in my heart for the little freaks.

and Keith...I pray for you daily, to be filled with all the knowledge and power He has to give, and that you would not be fearful of the path he has already set before you. but that you would embrace the difficulties that encompass those who would truly give all they have to know this great God who is seated above the earth.