12.22.2004

Mamma's Boy

My son and his family has been with us for a few days. We spent some time with my mother this past week end. I watched my mother with my grandson (being only 42, that sounds weird) and I realized why I love my mother so much. I was a good kid, but turned into somewhat of a criminal later on. But she always loved me, never turned away from me. Watching her with Jackson was amazing.

as I thought on, my son turned out a lot like me. His mother loved him through some pretty rough times as well. Now, he has a family and his wife is loving his son the same way. There is nothing quite like the love of your mother.

funny things about babies and Christians. As a 6 month old, Jackson is completely dependent on others for every need. Food, clothing, diaper changes. We make faces at him trying to get him to laugh. I look like an idiot sometimes, but I love him with a passion. A laugh or a smile from a little one is amazing.

at some point in my walk with Jesus, I began to try and retake some things I had depended on Him for. Just like my grandson will do, I wanted to "do it myself." in doing so, I have lost that dependence I had really wanted so much. As Jesus takes me through the process of total submission and total dependence (again) I can see the love in His eyes and feel the tenderness of His touch as He picks me up as I fall...Again. He is so amazing.

the simplicity of a relationship with our great God is beyond me sometimes. Yet, as I watch my grandson it is not so hard to understand. The innocence of a child needs to be remembered, sought after, desired. Theology is awesome, I love to study and learn more of scripture and grow in knowledge of Jesus. But I find that when we try to grow up in ways we are not ready for, we loose the innocence.

resting in the wonder that is our God.

1 comment:

lee said...

The ease and simplicity of the journey at times is hard to imagine in contrast to the impossible climb it is at others. I struggle with this more than anything else I suppose.