12.30.2006

The comb-over is alive and well...


I tend to get a bit analitical this time of year. my view is this...faith ought to inspire. if faith in Christ does not inspire me to make the world a better place, lead me to continue to seek after Him who gives faith, be a better husband, father, grandfather...if this does not happen each year, then I am a fool, for faith becomes no more than a social activity that drains time and effort.


Sheri and I were at the mall this week, and it could very well be that there was a hair club for men meeting that no one told me about.


I am happy to report that contrary to popular belief, the comb over is alive and well in south florida.


walk with me for a bit.


we all hide things. men especially.


for some reason, hiding the baldness of our head causes some of us to view things from a distorted angle. how is it that some of these guys who go so far tohide a bald spot can look in the mirror and say..."yea...that looks good."


if we dont try to cover it up, then we color it. middle aged men, some youth ministers I know get highlights in their hair for crying out loud. not sure if they are trying to be younger or impress someone.


I go tuckless. it hides my belly. which seems to be a bit swole up after all the holiday grub as of late.


I have a goat tee so as to hide my large yellow squash face.


we spend a great deal of time and effort trying to hide a reality. some go to extremes, others go extremely silly. either way, there is vanity there.


one of my students told me that he was looking forward to getting out of high school. enjoy it i said. cause the sad truth is, men actually believe their lives peaked there and spend most of their lives trying to recapture a bit of the old majic they tell their wives they had but really did not.


here is the point...


I would just as soon shave my head as comb it over. turth is I got a full head of hair...I have shaved it on several occasions and will do it again I am sure. truth is, it makes me look mean. guys like to be intimidating. grey seems to be the color of my reality now. Sheri tells me I look distinguished. but I refuse to color it.


this is who I am. middle aged and loving it. morhping into jesus a bit more each day. he promised he would finish the work. why cover it? why try for something else?


we started the year in limbo. church attenders on a sabatical of sorts. now, most of my time involves leading a group to encounter jesus. and I actually get paid for that.


no...I do not dress nor act like the students I serve. I dress and act like a 44 year old man...with a Harley. which means I wear more black t-shirts than I used to. still got to get that chain drive wallet...


I am not their buddy. they have enough of those. we do not have sleep overs, that would be weird. I am their pastor. crazy? yes. love life? yes. have fun? yes. but demad respect? dang skippy.


there is nothing to cover up or hide there.


faith ought to inspire. inspire them to grow, make the world a better place, live and love.


faith ought to inspire. inspire me to be myself. bald spots and all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture is freakin MESSED UP !
That is the guys head, right

Gigi said...

Great INSPIRING post...Thanks and Happy New Year