4.29.2005

No Habla...

I work with three folks from different parts of Latin America. Brazil, Columbia, and one other country I cannot recall. I can barely speak English, so dealing with folks who struggle with that has been a little difficult. The language barrier is not as bad with 2 as is with Melvin. He speaks very little English and all the Spanish I know is not for use in most situations. So this week, many of the conversations we had involved some translation. It was difficult at first, but we have been able to communicate. Hand motions, finger pointing and a little explanation seem to go a long way. Truth is, all would be good if I could speak Spanish, or he could speak more English.

sometimes when I deal with Christians, I feel like we speak 2 different languages. The funny thing is, nothing I have ever said has been a completely original thought, so it has been heard before.

both sides struggle trying to understand what the other is saying. Even with a middle man or a translator, things get way out of hand and can sometimes lead to frustration and even anger. Things would be better if we all spoke the same language...Or would it?

the problem arises when both sides fail to try and really listen to the point.

we all have so much baggage that we carry that we seldom look at the agenda we are trying to push as a liability. So we are stuck trying to unlock the code of hand signals and finger pointing.

my back ground and passions and giftedness cause me to see the world in a certain way. The glasses I see the world through are not rose colored, but psychedelic. So it is difficult for me to explain to someone why I say what I say. It is difficult for me to understand why certain folks react the way they do. Best I can figure some folks just like pointing out how wrong you are for doing what you are doing and saying what you are saying. I do that, so I should expect others to do it to me.

I get the weirdest feelings when folks respond in certain ways to what I write. I guess because they do not get why I am where I am, or where I have been. And the stiff collar person or a legalist will never understand why freedom is so important to an addict. Ever want to really understand freedom...Ask someone who has really understood bondage.

my mistakes have been many. There will be many more to come. Especially in traffic.

for what ever the reason, my life has taken a huge turn. From a staff member position in 2 prominent churches to sales manager with a building supply company. Both are different. I miss the church deal. I really loved teens. Some of their parents were the problem...Never the kids. But I still miss it. I miss preaching, I miss the attention. I am vain that way. And I miss the big group sometimes. Talk about your dichotmy. (sp?)

so here is my dilemma...

do I stop living out my calling because I am not a staff member? No. How can I?
is what I am doing now any less important? No. If it does, all the lay people I have met and ministered along side with have been lied to.
did I make some wrong choices? Yes. Although I hate regret...There is some of that.
do I feel a little weird because I am not doing what I have been trained to do? Yes.

Andy Stanley said "sometimes, you have to get out of the ministry in order to get back to ministry." I don't want to be the rebel guy on staff any more. But that desire to ask why has not left either.

and finally...I am cool with who and where I am. For now.

trying to learn the language.

No comments: