1.13.2006

What freedom looks like


A few months ago, my grandson and his parents came for a visit. I love my son and his wife. but when they come...big Jack has the run of the house.

they have a rule at their home that states...DO NOT PLAY WITH THE REMOTE! it is a good rule. one that keeps the remote from being broken and lost. but this day, he was with pop pop. and when he is with pop pop, some rules do not apply.

on this particulat morning, we were up early and playing around on the couch when he saw it. his eyes grew bright and wide as he saw it. he pointed at it and said "noooo." I grabbed it and handed it to him and he looked as if I had given him the moon. a mischevious grin came on his face as he took it from my hand. he pushed the buttons, looked lovingly and just enjoyed the fact he now had the power to turn on the tv. he leaned back against me and seemed to really enjoy the moment.

it was a memorable moment. we laughed together, marvled at the wonder of such a magnificent peice of technology.

he knew he was in uncharted waters. not sure how to handle the freedom of such power, we kept giving it back and forth to each other. he smiled and a deep sense of saftey surrounded him. it was like he knew he could get away with stuff when I was around.

then it happened. busted. mom comes in and he freaks out. knowing she would be upset, he offers the remote to her as apiece offering and looks back at me as if to say..."hey mommy, I know I am not supposed to have this, but pop pop gave it to me and we were having fun and he loves me and and and here, please take this and please do not pop my hand.

of course, it was me who was in trouble. it was the first time, and I am certain it will not be the last, my little man gets more freedom when he is with me.

much has been written about Christian freedom. extremes are to be found very easily at most Christian book stores. so this is not an attempt to nulify or reconcile what others have written.

I used to think freedom meant we were free to do what ever. and in a sense, we are. but somewhere along the journey, we missed the joy of sitting on the lap of Jesus and just knowing that there was safety and freedom there.

sometimes freedom looks a lot like the world. then I ask, what does the world look like? are there lines we should not cross? yes. but the mind set is so different. it then becomes a matter of not what I can do, but what do I want to do. not don't touch, don't eat, don't drink...but how can i honor God with this action. not simply I have the freedom to do this so I am gonna do it.

freedom also having the option not to do.

holiness means more now than it used to. but holiness is not the same as having a stick placed in certain areas either. if we cannot enjoy holiness and be excited about a life of holiness...take my name off the list.

if all we have to look forward to is the end then kill me now.

for the first time in a long time, I am experiencing life. what ever it brings, I want it. to feel deeply, cry with joy, be angry and sit in solitude. try things, go places, enjoy the moment and know He is there, watching, caring for, looking out for. daring us to enjoy life and all it has to offer.

"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery." Paul

we have become so afraid of fear, we seldom try anything new, taste anything new, go any place new or admit our own lack of adventure.

it is like we all put on wussy sweaters and left the primal at the front door of the church.

pick up the remote for crying out loud. Jesus has got your back. enjoy that. live!

be alive! be free!

if all we have as believers is a meeting to go to, then what is the point? (thought taken from my Pastor)

what sets us apart?

should it not be the desire to live a full and more than life?

go ahead...pick it up. I won't tell.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Now, the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, he gives freedom. 2 Cor.3:17

That freedom is to either follow or deny the Lord.

I choose to follow Him.

Thanks, Jeff, for making me think about my "freedom."

lee said...

great post bro...

i'm sorry that's it's taken me so long to get to it...

4 kids take their toll every now & again...

keep on yella'...