1.26.2006

A Million Little Pieces?

Had I known people like reading about addiction and recovery, i would have penned my memoirs years ago.

Can it be that people really like reading about addiction that much? can it be that poetic words about stealing from family to buy cocaine and allowing my own children to do without so I could get high be really that interesting? does hurting the ones you love because drugs mean more than they do really sell books?

in what flowing prose can one speak of waking up in your own vomit sound so riveting? How can one express the stench of days with out hygene and the yearning that calls for the loss of everything to get the next sensation and release that comes with the needle and the spoon.

how can stories of 5 day speed binges be so powerful? how can smoking rock and shooting up to the point of overwhelming paranoia be as gripping a atory as to leave millions on the edge of their seat? how is it that days spent in hotel rooms tweeking and freaking be such a story as to warrant a best selling book?

as I looked back on 16 years of drug induced stupors, waking up in places I would not dare go in daylight, theft, depresion, withdrawing from family and society, fear of realizing that conversations I thought I was having with my dead brother were actually happening, looking at evil in the eye and craving the darkness that leads to death...there is one thing that remains...redemption by the grace of Jesus Christ.

There is a darkness that is addiction. there is a pulling towards the pit of hell. there is death in addiction.

there is nothing glamorous about it. Scars remain. scars on the wrist, scars in the soul, scars in the memory.

as an addict, I did the things that addicts do.

as a forgiven child of Jesus, I now do the things that His children do. Thank Him daily, tell others about rescue, walk a little taller, and enjoy the Light.

those who would glamorize and try to embellish what has placed millions away from family, from hope, from any sense of normalcy and untlimately in the grave... can kiss a million pieces of my ass.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was curious. Read about half the book....wanted to see what the hype was all about....the new verse to the oprah mantra. I've worked with some addicts....pushed alot of librium and some methadone in my day, strapped em down in leathers so i could start and IV. It was very apparent early on that this guy was living the movie version of addiction....Mr. Cool. I can't believe a woman as intelligent as oprah didn't see through it but what I don't get is that this guy would sell himself and his recovering brothers and sisters out for a load of cash. Yea, I can believe it...I just don't get it. whats next? Fictionalizing kids with cancer?

Sojourner said...

Amen...

Bar L. said...

Amen again. I read the book because a meth addict in recovery gave it to me. I found the author to be arrogant and doubted his story was completely true even before the evidence came out.

I have a friend who blogged a book on his recovery from addiction and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to see inside that life, His recovery came through Christ/The 12 Steps. Let me know if you want the link.

I like your blog!