10.17.2005

Sympathy for the Devil

The following is what has risen up in me as part of a discussion over the issue of compassion and honesty in regards to the exclusivity of Jesus (or lack thereof) among American Christians.

This may be difficult for you to believe (if you actually know me), but I am not, nor am I the son of a compassionate man. I have in recent years gained a few points on the mercy gifts as I test for my Spiritual giftedness. But I have always strived to be honest. Blunt is also a word that has been used to describe me.

somewhere along the line, being honest with people about certain things has led most to believe that if you are honest, even in a way as not to desire to hurt or bring them down, you have no compassion or concern for the wellbeing of that person.

at the same time, we embrace a sense of deception that is running rampant in or society. As we struggle with the reality of the "Faith of our Fathers", we are left with nominalizing what was once a high standard and a warning for those who would trifle with lack of commitment. Individualized and non communal Americans have achieved more and have more than any generation in history. But, while achieving the dream that has brought millions to this great land, we have become desperate not to offend and confront with the truth out of fear of being alienated, having tithes withdrawn, hurting feelings and losing members.

I contend that you cannot not offend with a Gospel that was designed to offend and be contrary.

contrary to who we are at the core.

contrary to what we understand life to be.

contrary to culture.

How can something that began as underground movement that centered on Faith in a Guy that was killed cause He hammered the establishment...is alive now and he will transform you if you just believe...become so, well, sweet?

what if...

when we walked the aisle, took the preacher man by the hand, looked in his eyes and with a tear rolling down our cheek told him we wanted to be saved...and he said this...

Here the deal slick. when Jesus went back to heaven, He left this whole church deal in the hands of 12 men who ended up dieing for their Faith. but before they did, they changed the world. saw things most people never did. experienced things people only read about. they were beaten, jailed, disowned and sometimes, they were alone. but they were never ingored. thousands of people have followed in their footsteps. it is not an easy life, but if you believe that Jesus did what he did, said what he said, people may mistreat you, Jesus may ask you to die alone on a foreign land for this, you may suffer, you may not have wealth or live in a big house or drive a nice car. but if you give your life to this Man who died...you will truly live. Truly live.

My pastor did not say those things to me.

truth is, no one ever said those things to me. and if they did, I am not at all confident i would want that gig.

but is that not what we should be telling people? should we not tell them what Jesus actually requires from them?

I contend that we do not understand what we get into when we say we trust Jesus.

I contend that what we hear today is Jesus helps you stop (insert sin here)...

I contend within 20 years, the church will lose tax exemption, and millions will leave.

I contend we live on the back side of a morality war that we did not have an interest in winning.

I contend that most Americans actually believe Jesus was white and was good looking. After all, who wants to follow an ugly Jesus?

when we do not give people the whole story...you know, Jesus loves you, but He expects you to die, we contribute to a less than Gospel.

I am not a prophet nor do I speak with the authority of a denomination or church. however, i do speak to what I see and have seen and have heard.

and, just like many of you, I am adding to the discussion

I also contend Steve Ray is playing for the Father at the Throne on blues night.

4 comments:

lee said...

i'd comment, but i'm too offended...

Panmillennial said...

I contend that your contentions are contentious. But I also believe as Criswell did that @85% of church members are lost. There is no salvation without counting the cost.

Dani Kekoa said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have browsed through yours a bit and I like what you have to say. I am going to add it to my blogroll, if that is okay? The church is in a serious state of decay, and as long as Christians keep relying on Rick Warren’s teaching for guidance and they keep sending their kids to a godless government to be educated, we will all be on a fast track to hell in no time!

Anonymous said...

Steve Ray is stevies retarded nephew. I think you were referring to Stevie Ray and yes, You can bet he is performing for the king. Glory to God in the highest!