1.10.2005

The smell of stale smoke, body odor and the sweetness of Jesus

Last night as we began to worship together, nothing seemed to go right. Where as 6 months ago this would have been a major ordeal, I am learning the importance of the moment. We plan the crap out of stuff. As a former staff member of a large church, I, and those I worked with have planned the Holy Spirit right out of the picture.

When folks don't show up, you gotta go with what you got. Warren did a great job of pulling together a few folks to lead and it was a sweet time for me. In the midst of kids playing and missed beats in the music, the sweetness that is Jesus fell on me.

so did the aroma of Jeff, a homeless guy who had heard we were there and serving food. I had met him before, so we were somewhat familiar with each other. He came in reeking of smoke and b.o. he looked like he had not showered in a few days. At the same time, I realize now he looked more like Jesus than some folks I had seen earlier in the day.

I have segregated my life. Not on purpose, but it is segregated none the less. Not many black folks are in my life. I have Caribbean neighbors who are sweet folks, but we do not socialize...Yet. There is an Indian family who I wave at on my street, but there has been no conversation. I do not speak nor do I deal with many homeless folks unless they wander into our church meeting.

without having realized it I have relegated all my goings and dealings with my little tribe. I seldom deal with, or socialize with anyone outside the tribe. We go to church together, I even work for a couple of folks I go to church with.

what I am saying is this. After being segregated as a staff member and career church worker, I have now pretty much done the same thing. But now, because I have seen the problem and realized the err of my ways, I feel nastier and smell worse than Jeff did the other night.

Lord help me to see as you see. Help me to be ready to learn. Help me to be ready to love. Help me to seek out those who need a love from their Brother Jesus, their Lord, their redeemer.

consume me till there is no me...But all you.

1 comment:

lee said...

maybe the biggest step is being cognizant of the problem & willing to do something about it...

you're right there bro...