1.25.2005

The package

I have been preaching through John, so my studies as of late have had to do with background and time spent on Jon the Baptist. The original freak. Outcast, mad man, fashion guru, confronter, and bird dog. It has been a great study.

here is what has me in a sad mood today.

I have seen and been a part of a certain package that is being presented to people as the way in which God has chosen to reveal Himself to the people. In certain places, the whole "post-modern" package is what is popular. Angry white guys (this is what Erwin McManus calls post modernism)getting their message out that this is the way church should look today. A slick, pretty, eye catching package that includes visuals and moods that complete a certain look.

the traditional package is no different. There is a certain look and an attitude that points to the rightness of the package. Old ways they say, need not be forgotten. True that! The problem with some tradition is it is not old enough...Some even package up both and try to mold them together in order to meet all the requirements that tickle some part of people to get them to buy the product.

when Jesus burst on the scene, He turned all expectations upside down. And the one who was called from birth to herald the coming Messiah was not part of the current status quo or any package religion. JTB did not have meetings in the local synagogue or services in the Temple. He did not go after the young crowd nor did he appeal to the old folks. Age did not seem to be part of his whole deal. He cam proclaiming the coming Messiah and Kingdom of God. Dressed like a circus freak and eating foods that would make all the no carb folks freak out.

it strikes me funny and sad at the same time as I write this...The way that Jesus was brought into the world was not what we would expect, yet it was foretold by the prophets. The way in which Jesus was heralded was not what we would expect, yet it is what was foretold.

how is it that we have forgot how the Word was presented as Anti package? How is it that we have assumed the role of presenter of a slick pretty and attractive nicely put together product as if we were selling a "ronco home product?"

I too have put together my own way of presenting Jesus. My own way of wrapping Him up and telling people about Him as if I were a barker at the local carnival.

we do this because we have an idea that Jesus is more along the lines with our personal thoughts than others. We also do this because we want to believe Jesus is a blonde haired blue eyed American who if He were here would live in our nice neighborhood and drive our kind of car. More than anything though, I think we do this so we can make Jesus attractive so our friends will like Him. After all, no one wants to follow a not so good looking unattractive God...Right?

Truth is, what we say and how we dress Him up cannot make him any cooler, more attractive or any more God than He is. He is either God, or He is not. (paraphrase of a quote of a member of DC TALK)and honestly, Isaiah said Jesus was not a handsome guy. Especially in our mullet haired, skinny bulemic model, Tommy Hilfiger, Gap, sex sells everything even rice and biscuit commercial culture.

maybe we all need a return to the camel hair clothes and leather belt days. Maybe we all need to eat some locusts and wild honey. Maybe we all need to spend some time in the wilderness and recapture that which was originally heralded as the coming Messiah. Maybe we all need to remember the message JTB preached..."Repent! For the Kingdom of Heaven is at Hand!"

Locust anyone?

3 comments:

Panmillennial said...

Hey man, I'm all for the locusts, only I want mine chocolate covered.
I agree that the "package" that we have been sold about church, Christianity, and God is bogus at best. I know JTB was anti-establishment. I just want to make sure I'm not anti-establishment for "anti-establishment's sake". Paul said he became all things to all people that he might win some. I know what he was talking about and that he didn't mean conforming. But God called Isaiah primarily to the rich and powerful. He had audience with the king! But Amos was called by God to the poor. He preached against the "establishment" the same time Isaiah was preaching to the "establishment". I think Martin Luther was another "type" of anti-establishment guy, but he reformed within the establishment. So what does all this mean? I don't know, I'm just sayin', we must go where God calls us. Most of the time it's out of our comfort zone. I want to make sure I'm following Him and not my own desires whether it be in the establishment or anti-establishment. I think God needs His children in both. Matt 28:19-20

God Bless You!
Pan

Remnant Sons MC said...

I hear you pan man.
I agree with you. but we are talking about 2 different things.

lee said...

no doubt...

i often wonder what came 1st...the soul patch or this thought of 'emergence'...

i must say that i belief we try to make our Christ cool, because we have absolutely no idea about who He really is...

if this be true, than your conclusion is correct...we've got to get to the place where He alone is our focus...then & only then can we really know Him with great authority/conviction instead of trying to prop Him up to look cool...

rock on bro...only if you're cool about it...