1.09.2009

role models and Nirvana

so it is 2009, and i have, against my better judgement, decided to resolve to eat better and exercise. so far so good.

the other day, Sheri and i go to the gym to do our daily routine. my favorite place to do the tread mill is the "theater room". BA screen and ESPN. or, at least that is what is supposed to be on.

this particular day, i get saddled up and look up and i am surrounded my 15 women all watching Oprah. and my luck? she is talking about getting healthy for the new year.

we need role models. we need people in our culture that reflect right living, faith and diligence. but give me a break! Oprah as a weight loss role model? i may be wrong, but she is the one who has shrunk and ballooned up more times than a hot air balloon...right? i get the fact she desires to empower women, but the fact we all seem to give a crap about listening to her about weight loss when she cant seem to get it right, just freaks me out a bit.

i walked and listened as she encouraged her listeners to "put themselves back on their priority lists."

anyone else kinda think that is why we are so jacked up as a country? we have all BEEN on our priority list. that is why we are fat and selfish. i say that, cause i am fat and selfish.

it reminded me of a song by Nirvana, Smells like teen spirit

I'm worse at what I do best
And for this gift I feel blessed
Our little group has always been
And always will until the end

hello, how low?
With the lights out it's less dangerous
Here we are now Entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now Entertain us
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My Libido
Yeah

And I forget
Just why I taste
Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile
I found it hard
It was hard to find
Oh well, whatever, never mind

heard some conversation about church the other day.
people want what they want. mostly relief from life, and what is left, some flavor. so we add Jesus like salt. it tastes like the American Dream.

no sacrifice, no giving.
just taking and entertainment.
like a fat guy at the buffet. gorging myself because i can.

here we are now, entertain us.

as the Gospel becomes about making me number 1 on my priority list, the hole in our hearts grows and is endlessly filled with object of my affections...me.

not sure if Jesus ever told us to become a priority so as we could find balance.

thoughts from the journey.

1 comment:

MaryAnn Mease said...

listened to a sermon this past week on podcast from MarsHill Grand Rapids. In it they played the dinner scene from Talladega Nights and it was about what kind of Jesus they liked.The Baby Jesus, The Bearded Jesus, The Jesus that would be lead singer for LedZepplin.....we all have our favorite Jesus don't we? We all are like that...and then they went to Luke and talked about why He talked about the God of Israel...the God of the Hebrews...not Caesar, not mythology...
not sure why i am writing all of this...but...something in your blog brought all that up.
keep the exercise going...you have a race to run and run well for the Glory of the King.