12.07.2005

Simple Man




I am not sure my heart has ever grasped the gravity of having a son. There are so many things that cause a man to swell with pride. Some good, others bad. But having a son, your own name sake, really caused me to be proud.

I remember introducing him to people and saying the words "this is my son".

I remember watching wrestling each week, and finally having to stop because he clotheslined me off his dresser.

I watched him get his first hit on the football field. He cold cocked the kid and stood over him like a warrior from long ago...Adrenaline pumping and me screaming for joy at a distance.

I watched him be different from the crowd. Had his own style, his own attitude.

he is a huge dreamer.

He was a little badd ass. He fought a lot. I went to school one day to spend some time in his class. During recess, he beat down some kid for talking junk about me. I should not have been , but I was proud he cared enough to stick up for me.

as a kid, he was not afraid to try anything.

advice flowed like the Niagara in those days. The big sex talk was ongoing from age 10. But as I did, TJ learned the way he needed to. Sometimes it was the hard way, something it was easier.


We walk a like, we talk alike. I taught him to walk in a way that when he entered a room, people knew he was there. He is a confident young man. I taught him that he never had to feel less than a man around anyone.

when he graduated, we had a family ceremony. I laid my hands on him and blessed him, as Isaac did his sons. As Abraham did. He was sent out into the world with the knowledge of who his God was, and given the opportunity to one day convey that blessing to his family. It was probably cheesy to him then. But it stands out as a defining moment in the life of our family in my heart.

He has married the love of his life, and he now has a son. She is perfect for him. In every way. A great mother and a wonderful addition to the craziness of our family. I still find myself trying to give advise and be all wise. I wish I could see him more, spend more time with him. But the truth is, he will find his way. As he leads his family, he will ask the same questions I did, deal with the same issues my dad did, struggle with the same things most men do.

I love to watch him with his son. he is a good father.

He is a child of the Most High God. He is a man. A husband, a father and a Marine. He has served in Iraq. And I am proud to call him my son.

above all else my son, seek God. Lead your wife to seek Him. And teach your son to seek Him. For in this, your Blessing will be realized.

Simple Man
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Mama told me when I was young
Come sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say.
And if you do this It will help you some sunny day.

Take your time... Don't live too fast,
Troubles will come and they will pass.
Go find the woman and you'll find love,
And don't forget son, There is someone up above.

And be a simple kind of man.
Be something you love and understand.
Be a simple kind of man.
Won't you do this for me son, If you can?

Forget your lust for the rich man's gold
All that you need is in your soul,
And you can do this if you try.
All that I want for you my son, Is to be satisfied.

Boy, don't you worry...
you'll find yourself.
Follow you heart and nothing else.
And you can do this if you try.
All I want for you my son, Is to be satisfied.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Advice flowed like the Niagara in those days. The big sex talk was ongoing from age 10. But as I did, TJ learned the way he needed to."

What do you mean by that - "he learned the way he needed to?"

Remnant Sons MC said...

most of the time he listened...other times he did not.

most of the time he paid attention, other times he did not.

he, as most teens, learn how they need to. by trying, failing, learning and changing.

we gave him the freedom to make mistakes and learn from them.

the sex talks always centered around honoring God, self control and treating women with respect and not as an object. but because there was not one talk, it was more like ongoing reminders of how to treat people, women, and respecting himslef.

make sence?

Crystal said...

I read your blog quite often and many times and deeply moved. This is another of those times.

I am the wife of a "simple man" and feel incredibly blessed. He was and still is an awesome father to our sons and a loving and faithful husband to me. But first and foremost, he seeks the will of his Father.

If only more men did honor and respect God then we really could have peace on earth this Christmas.