5.14.2005

24 AND 43

May is a pretty big deal for me. My birthday and anniversary are within 2 weeks of each other. The birthday is not huge, although millions of Mexicans celebrate it each year. Corona's usually go on sale for a buck a piece. But as in most marriages, the anniversary is big time. Each year I try and say something to my bride that will help her know how important she is to me.

so this year, we are dealing with some major life issues, and as I step back and look over the landscape that is our life, I ask the question..."What have I learned?"

the following is a list of things that are lessons learned. Some hard, some easy. Some learned late, some learned early. Either way, this is where my foundation lies. This is what helps me discern the next move in many situations.

Love and acceptance are not just words to my great God. This is how He makes me feel.

Grace is more and more wonderful each year.

Jesus does not hold a grudge...Unlike me and some folks I know.

Responsibility is more than a theory.

Joy is meant to be all encompassing, not as mask we try on to fake people out.

After 24 years of marriage, what matters is not status, or security, but complete acceptance, complete love, and complete loyalty. My wife displays all these.

I have learned that unconditional love for our children is passed on from our parents

Our kids will always be seen as our children...In need of assistance. And that is ok.

Friendships are let go way to easy. I resolve not to allow this to happen again.

Things are never as bad or as good as others will have you believe.

I miss the Church.

I laugh more than I used to. At myself and others. If you can't laugh at your self, stop and listen...Others are already doing it.

Nothing can take the place of genuine community. We try but are always unsuccessful. Families who retreat from community are always lonely in the end.

we have lived with much and with little. I remember the times of little as being genuine Faith building and family uniting times. Memorable and filled with joy. I will take little over much if it means being complete in Christ and united with family and friends.

I have a friend I have never met. He is like a brother who knows the deepest areas of my soul. We have spoke 3 times over the phone, yet, it is as if we see each other each day.

True friendship connections transcend time. No matter when it is picked up again, the connection remains fresh, alive and brings a smile to my heart.

Grandkids are more of a Joy than I realized.

I miss my father and my brother. Even after all these years, there is an emptiness with out them.

I think about how cool it would have been to see Jesus walking around and talking to people each day. I think about what he would look like, about His never ending smile. Then I see Sheri and realize She looks just like him.

Funny how people are. They seldom approach us when we need them to, rather they sometimes allow us to deal with the heaviness of life alone. But when they are offended, are quick to point out the faults of others.

We can never hide the way we really feel. We try, but actually, people know us better than we realize.

I get a cold chill each time I hear of a soldier being killed in Iraq.

We will always be vulnerable. No matter how hard we try, we cannot live with out interaction from others.

I have noticed that when you are running with the "herd" people know how to act. When you are culled out from the herd, for reasons of sin, or difficulty of life or what ever, people are afraid to leave the herd to come to your aid. They are afraid of being outcast...They do not know how to deal with folks outside the herd. When the Lion devours them...

We as Americans place more importance on the wealthy who leave the herd, praying for their safe return, rather than the poor and beat down who may have never been in the herd. Mostly because we think with all their wealth they can do so much for the kingdom. If they would just come back.

As screwed us as we may be, I am convinced America is the best country on Earth. However, we are not God's chosen people. That title and position has already been taken...Rather given to another. We need to remember that.

my life is fuller, and richer because of the difficulty and trials I have had.

when life is over, all that really matters is who I have loved and who has loved me. I hope that list has more on it than just family.

I really dig Texas blues.

50 is not as old as it used to be.

Everything I have learned about how to love my kids has come from Mable. And yes, I am still a mamma's boy.

My wife is my best friend. She is not afraid to tell me the truth, not afraid to confront me, and always willing to listen, always willing to comfort and always able to support.

Sheri is the best thing, outside of Jesus, that has ever come into my life.

I am glad Jesus does not banish us to darkness when we make mistakes...Like I have done.

Life is not easy, but should be full of joy and fervor.

over all, I have very few regrets. I wish I had been less prideful and more willing to look, listen and learn. I regret how some friendships have turned out. I should have fought harder for them. All the problems, disobedience, pride, love, sin, frustration and grace are continuing to mold me...All by His magnificent hand. Even through missing the point, Jesus has never left me alone to figure it out. He has spoke through His word, select friends, and my wife and kids to help me see the error of my ways. All the while loving me extravagantly.

Life good. And by His hand, much more lessons are out there to be embraced and learned. What ever happened, it is the journey to redemption that keeps me on track. Seeking, hoping, loving and watching.

Here's to Jesus!

4 comments:

jimmy said...

that's cool man. well said.

so i go said...

beautiful words and some great advice.. and love the ending!

sheri-baby said...

I am looking forward to gathering memories for 48 and 86!

I LOVE U!

lee said...

yella',

from 1 momma's boy to another...

your alright in my book...

sorry i've been outa da loop here lately...

t-ball, pukin' contest & the such...

happy belated b-day & anny...

move ya'lls asses back to pace...